Pops and clicks on BBC local radio

Pops and clicks on BBC local radio

Postby richardash1981 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:49 pm

Am I the only one who gets pops and clicks superimposed onto local radio programs being listened again on the iPlayer for the last few weeks?

For instance if you play this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00lv49b/Yorkshire_Brass_05_12_2011/?t=4m15s
then there will be two clicks in the first 30 seconds (in the same place every time). If you record the programme and look at the waveform they are even more obvious because they are louder than any other part of the audio. These have affected Yorkshire Brass (BBC Radio Leeds) and Sounds of Brass (BBC Radio Devon) for the last three weeks or so. These are MP3 streams because they are local radio - BBC national stations using AAC are unaffected and continue to sound fine.

I get this on two different machines:
64-bit Linux / Firefox 7 / Flash 11,1,102,55
32-bit Windows XP SP3 / Internet Explorer 8 / Flash 11,1,102,55
and also in get_iplayer output files played either on a PC or an iRiver iHP 120 MP3 player

I have used the BBC contact form, which claimed I was trying to install Desktop iPlayer (which I never mentioned) and that it isn't supported on Linux. So I've put another case in today with the reference from the first one making it very clear the problem is with Flash streaming. Hopefully they will listen to it and realize there is a real issue!
richardash1981

Re: Pops and clicks on BBC local radio

Postby Grumpy » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:28 pm

Hi Richard,
I have been aware of this for some weeks when listening to jazz and Rock & Roll programmes. As you say, same place every time so it on the recording and only on local radio recordings. There are three different effects as far as I can tell. The large spike when expanded out is just a set of square pulses diminishing in amplitude, This is sometimes followed a couple of seconds later by a smaller amplitude spike. The third effect appears to be just an instantaneous variation in signal amplitude lasting a fraction of a second and only on some stations. The large spike always seems to start with a negative 0.5mS pulse followed by 100uS pulses so it definately appears to be data. All effects appear in both channels simultaneously and very annoying. John Hellings commented on this in his Jazz programme (14th Dec) following a listeners complaint and said that the engineers were aware of it and believed they had cured it. This was followed by a click so obviously not and it still prvalent in this weeks recordings.
Kind regards, Neill
Grumpy

Postby richardash1981 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Yorkshire Brass presenter David Hoyle also mentioned this on air, also claiming that it had been fixed when it obviously hadn't been. Seems like reporting the problem direct to the programmes concerned may be more effective than trying to get the iPlayer support to do much with this. I'm listening to this week's program at the moment, and will be contacting them if it still contains clicks ...
richardash1981

Postby richardash1981 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:22 pm

Still there, so email has gone off - hopefully it will reach someone before the programme expires and we have to start all over again.
richardash1981

Postby Grumpy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm trying to listen to Geoff Barker's Rock & Roll Party from Radio Devon on Saturday and it is full of them appearing every few seconds. I've banged an E. Mail off but the complaint forms don't seem to cover this at all.
Grumpy

Postby alano » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm

Yes - I believe this has been reported. The engineering teams are looking into the problem.

Alan@BBC
alano

Postby dvdwheeler2 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:47 pm

I got pops and crackles on the iplayer on radio devon and radio cornwall. It makes the music stuff quite unlistenable.
dvdwheeler2

Postby richardash1981 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:43 pm

I got an email back from David Hoyle (host of Yorkshire Brass) confirming that there is a problem, it affects all of the BBC local radio, and they are working on the problem - apparently it's a problem with a server, which they hoped they had a fix for, but it didn't work. I think the problem is now getting some attention, but hasn't yet been acknowledged on the "current issues" page:
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/h ... est_issues
richardash1981

Postby jiver » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 am

Hello.
have this problem too, very helpful to see that it is being sorted out, will watch for further news.
jiver

Postby shopkeeper » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:58 pm

I wish they would fixs this. Still an issue after all this time and makes listening to BBC Radio leeds unbearable.
shopkeeper

Next

Return to On a Computer