Pops and clicks on BBC local radio

Re: Pops and clicks on BBC local radio

Postby sideband » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:16 pm

The BBC are now acknowledging the problem with Local Radio streams

Quote from BBC iPlayer Help

"Local Radio – Why am I experiencing audio issues when listening to local radio stations on BBC iPlayer?

We are aware of some reports from users experiencing audio issues when streaming local radio stations. These have been described as ‘Popping' or ‘Clicking' sounds.

This is currently under investigation and we apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused."
sideband

Postby chrismac » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Hi, just had my first piece of music aired on 'BBC Introducing' - exciting stuff - but... ruined by the clicks and pops that are still happening on local radio streamed iPlayer.
The whole programme is spoiled.
I know BBC are aware and are in process of sorting it out but I would have thought it was pretty important seeing as any music is totally ruined each time you listen.
I know iPlayer is free but I've payed decades worth of licence fees, so please get it fixed soon BBC. :)
chrismac

Postby Grumpy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm

This was posted on Geoff Barkers Rock n Roll Party Facebook page Saturday 28 Jan 2012:

Update on the on-line/listen again `clicks`:
The fault is affecting about half the local stations in the country and it`s been tracked down to a piece of kit (in London) that does the regional prog switching for on-line listening. Basically, it`s broken and cannot be repaired, so a new box of tricks has to be ordered from the manufacturer......in Japan. This will obviously take a few weeks to arrive, be tested and then it sorted. Sorry guys, but that`s the problem with new-techno gizmo`s..they sometimes pack up. Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, its on all the stations in our region, so you can`t log in somewhere else. Apols, but thank you for hanging on in there.
Grumpy

Postby matt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Hopefully that will sort the problem then.

Took quite a long time to track down though.
matt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tramshed » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:43 pm

FWIW I get the same issue using Listen Again on Ministry of Sound - it uses the RadioPlayer console too - dunno if that's a contributing factor.

I have no problem with streams from BBC London, but BBC Kent (Sean Rowley's All Back to Mine), BBC Sheffield (Northern Soul and Motown show) & Ministry of Sound (Sean Rowley's Soft Rock Disco) all exhibit clicks & pops :(
tramshed

Postby subminiature » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:58 pm

The same problem has been on Radio 4 and Radio Extra throughout December and January.

It only seems to have finally been corrected over the past week. It is not the recent encoding either as programmes that have been available for over a year also have problems which they had not before, so the play back had been affected.

I initially blamed my computer hardware which had problems at the same time. It has taken a long time for the BBC to get fixed, assuming it has been.

I seldom use iPlayer for TV programmes but use it heavily for radio content catching up perhaps a month or two later (some Radio 4 programmes that are available apparently indefinately - if you can find them).
subminiature

Postby Archer » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:57 pm

February 20 and still this problem hasn't been resolved. This makes all local radio streaming music programmes just about unlistenable. Surely a national institution like the BBC can do better than this but considering how they have botched up the BBC Sports website, perhaps not so surprising. I would expect a small independent station streaming online to do better than this. Problems can arise but taking going on 3 months to resolve them is just not acceptable.
Archer

Re: Pops and clicks on BBC local radio Solution Coming !

Postby say42 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:44 am

Just seen an item on Facebook that points to an edition of Feedback where they say it is to do with a failing motherboard in a "matrix" and that they hope to have it replaced by early March

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 4_02_2012/ Starts at about 27min in

Steve
say42

Postby TMG501 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:05 pm

I listen to BBC Sheffield/Leeds, Cambridge, Lancashire, Stoke/Shropshire, WM, Newcastle
for their respective Soul shows, and I'm still getting the "clicks & pops" :cry:
However, Will Banks Soul Prescription On Radio Oxford is perfect :?:
TMG501

Postby PurleyDrinker22 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:15 pm

Please hurry up and sort this out BBC. Reading the number of posts on this forum thread, it has been over 4 months now since this annoying static was reported on iPlayer local radio feeds - yet after each post, a solution has supposed to have been coming imminently. Is it to be another 3 or 4 months before something is done to sort out these disturbances on the feeds?! :roll:

Come on.
PurleyDrinker22

PreviousNext

Return to On a Computer