Temporary error downloading programs

Temporary error downloading programs

Postby sadie1988 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:26 pm

For the past few weeks I haven't been able to download any programs with BBC Iplayer Downloads software when it previously worked fine. When I try to download a program I get a message saying "Temporary error downloading (program name) we will try again soon" I have contacted BBC IPlayer but they say that it may not be investigated as not enough people have reported the issue although I have looked at old BBC IPlayer blogs and the issue has come up quite often but nothing is being done about it. I have uninstalled the software and reinstalled it twice without any improvement, also tried using a different web browser. Anybody have any more ideas?????
sadie1988

Re: Temporary error downloading programs

Postby marilynt » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:23 am

I am having exactly the same problem with temporary error messages, and I too have tried reinstalling, tried using different browsers. To add to the irritation it seems impossible to delete programmes that are sitting waiting for download - even after the uninstall/reinstall. It suddenly decided to work on one occasion about a fortnight ago - by then I didn't want the programmes anyway! The following day back to the temporary error messages and no activity since.
I wondered if maybe it needs a 'clean uninstall' as sometimes happened with the old desktop version - but I am not sure how to do it with 'Download'.
Anybody any ideas?
marilynt

Postby IanLanc » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:03 am

Same problem. Just downloaded iPlayer 1.4 and getting this message. Was this solved for you?
I'm on a Mac, OS 10.9.
Thanks for help!
IanLanc

Postby Morton » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:58 pm

I am having the same problem. All downloads stall at exactly 12MB. Have contacted BBC and they replied with re-install Iplayer downloads and try a different supported browser - both done to no avail.
Seems as if the 12 MB part of the download relates to the licence content which it is failing to load. Log file indicates following
[INFO] Write to the file system failed.
[INFO] Error loading licence for ******************************(program name)

Has anyone any ideas how to solve this annoying problem - no idea how long the BBC might take - if they ever get around to looking at it?
Morton

Postby Jen80 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:33 am

I am also having the same problem. I recently updated the downloader - it had worked fine before. Yesterday it was stopping at 12MB and today it either won't start or stops at 14MB.

I have also tried removing and reinstalling, updating AIR, clearing space on my drive, tried in 2 different browsers, checked my firewall.

I am also able to stream live from the website with no problem, but I can't use the downloader. I have really slow internet and want to be able to watch offline so this problem is quite annoying!
Jen80

Postby skafloc » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 pm

I'm having exactly the same problem too. Like Morton, my downloads stop at exactly 12.0 MB regardless of the program I try to download, with "Temporary error downloading <program-name>. Will try again soon." I'm running BBC iPlayer Downloads version 1.4.1 on Mac OSX 10.9.1. The log says:

[30/01/2014 19:25:33.213] [INFO] Starting to download http://electradl.iplayer.bbc.co.uk/elec ... 035831.mp4 to file:///Users/me/Movies/BBC%20iPlayer%20Downloads/bUnknown-ba49b108-8bd8-48ec-ae00-98fe676df90e_b03t8mzb_1390899035831.mp4.
[30/01/2014 19:25:33.896] [INFO] Device binding failed. Undo any device changes or reset the license (voucher) files. The Flash Access module will then reindividualize. In AIR, voucher reset can be done by invoking the resetDRMVouchers() on DRMManager, whereas in Flash Player, the user needs to reset the license files in the Flash Player Settings Manager.
[30/01/2014 19:25:33.898] [INFO] A programme error occurred with no description.
[30/01/2014 19:25:33.899] [INFO] Error loading licence for Outnumbered: Series 5: Episode 1

I've tried re-installing to no avail. Has anyone got past this problem yet?
skafloc

Postby abqdan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:45 pm

I'm having this problem now... after months of using the download program successfully. I can still watch streaming playback on the BBC iPlayer site, but most program downloads stop after 12MB or so with this 'temporary' error. Clearly it isn't 'temporary' - I tried pause/resume, deleting the part that's been downloaded and restarting - nothing seem to work. I uninstalled the downloader and re-installed - still nothing.

Oddly, there are a few programs that still do download OK. I can't figure out why they work and everything else doesn't. Could it have something to do with DRM?
abqdan

Postby Mazza » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:35 pm

I had this problem and reported it to the Iplayer people. A guy called Luke Sands emailed back and after a couple more email exchanges they came up with an engineering build.

1. Download the engineering build from the following URL and install as normal.
Mac: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/dm/downloa ... nloads.dmg
PC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/dm/downloa ... nloads.msi

I uninstalled the old version first and it worked fine after that. (PC version I can't vouch for the mac version)
Mazza

Postby gito5360 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:44 pm

I have tried the version 1.0, 1.5, 1.7.2 and the last 1.7.4. They all have the same problem! Have you solved it?
gito5360

Return to On a Computer