BBC iPlayer Downloads keeps resetting

BBC iPlayer Downloads keeps resetting

Postby DaveRado » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:56 am

Ever since I was forced to switch from using iPlayer Desktop to using BBC iPlayer Downloads, I have lost all my downloads every couple of days or so. Every couple of days or so, when I open BBC iPlayer Downloads, it says "There are problems with your downloads, to continue using the application it needs to be reset. Remove downloads and restart."

It then removes all my downloads from the list (although it doesn't actually delete the mp4 files, but it doesn't see them any more), and as a result I frequently lose access to the downloads permanently, because while most -programmes can only be downloaded up to 7 days after the broadcast, they can then be watched up to 30 days from the download date - so when iPlayer Downloads removes all my downloads from the list it sees, many of them cannot be re-downloaded.

This is infuriating and the problem has been going on ever since I was forced to stop using iPlayer Desktop, which had no such problems. Does anyone know whether this bug is being worked on and if so, when it is likely to be fixed?
DaveRado

Re: BBC iPlayer Downloads keeps resetting

Postby Constantviewer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:12 pm

Same problem 31/1/14. I've just emailed BBC iplayer support, so if I get anything back it would be interesting. My list of mp4 and xml files, all of which were unexpired, are still in the download folder by within the iplayer program itself, the list of programs has been wiped.
Constantviewer

Postby shirehorse » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:05 am

Sounds like the download app has problems saving it's database to disk. Once you've hit the reset button try dragging and dropping your downloaded mp4 files into the app window - they play for me in the latest version of the app. Not an ideal solution I know, but it might avoid total frustration.
shirehorse

Postby CliffordM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:50 am

I had this problem with the old iPlayer sometimes. It should have been fixed as I haven't had it with the new one.
The fix I found with the old one was to delete all the licenses under C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\Adobe\AIR\ELS\BBCiPlayerDownloads. If iPlayer got a problem with the license it would automatically delete the downloaded program file. So I also backed up all these. I restored the backup after deleting the licenses then restarted iPlayer it would then go and get a license off the internet and all would work, licenses seemed to be available lomger than 7 days.
Maybe this might help you.

Please note despite what BBC people say the new iPlayer STILL use Adobe AIR and the same license system. They have simply put their own copy of Adobe AIr in the same folder where iPlayer is installed and stopped it being updated. BUT it still uses the same common Adobe AIR/ELS folder, common to all apps for each user and the common Adobe AIR installation. It is the worst bodge I have ever seen in 40 years of professional engineering.

Note: The new iPlayer doesn't delete the program file on error but it has a new fault
IT DOES NOT DELETE THE LICENSE FILES. If you delete a program the license file stays. The license folder under ELS just gets bigger and bigger and bigger.

A further note: The programs are 2 files a .mp4 and .xml. The program is the mp4 but it's not a normal mp4 it won't play on a mp4 player only in iPlayer. The xml file is the subtitles.
CliffordM

Postby Sabael » Wed May 28, 2014 9:49 am

I have a different problem but I'm interested in the information CliffordM gave, so apologies for posting it here if this is the wrong place. I inadvertently started playing a downloaded programme - all too easy to do when opening the player I find - but as I hadn't seen the previous one in the series, I deleted it and downloaded it again, to reset its expiry date. Now when I try to play it, although it hadn't expired (and it has now gone to seven days left), the screen goes blank and the total duration is shown as zero.

I suspect what has happened is that, in some way, the license didn't renew when it was downloaded again and it has now expired after the original seven days. I don't want to delete all the licenses in case I'm not able to watch the other programmes I've got, but is it possible to figure out which is the license in question and delete it, on the offchance that it might then be renewed? I was able to figure out which is the media file because it was downloaded on the same day as the subtitle file, which I could read, but the license folder (which I think is C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\AIR\ELS\BBCiPlayerDownloads\APSPrivateData2\0\Resources) doesn't have anything on the same date.

Would be grateful for any help, as I've only got 6 days left now!
Sabael

Return to On a Computer