Useless BBC iPlayer

Useless BBC iPlayer

Postby cuttsa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:24 am

Why have the BBC produced such a useless iPlayer.

Programs download slowly
Downloaded programs do not play. (I try to play and it frequently just shows a blank picture)
The application is so basic. (order of programs not sortable or even sorted in the first place). Almost impossible to find required programs in list.

If it were a private company selling a product they would be out of business by now.

I am losing patience.....or is it just me? :roll:
cuttsa

Re: Useless BBC iPlayer

Postby mikeg40 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:26 am

similar issues, corrupted downloads, no series record, random programme list, no warning of impending expiring of programme. if the programmes were at least listed by expiry date I maybe won't loose them. the memory requirements are also a bit of a pain. still at least I can sort of use this unlike the old one. I have no tv and an unreliable internet connection so downloading is my only way of viewing. it is a pity that after 2 years the new system is not a little better than it is. maybe I should ask for a reduced license fee!!!!
mikeg40

Postby lindsaygee » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:29 pm

I can'[t download at all. Even if I leave it for hours, downloads never start. When I restart the computer, IPlayer Downloader has no memory that it was ever asked to download anything. It's shockingly bad - actually no service at all. :(
lindsaygee

Postby onslowthecat » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:54 am

Mikeg40

You are advised that if you do not have a TV you do not have to pay for a TV Licence to the BBC in the UK! Just Cancel it.

:lol:
onslowthecat

Postby CliffordM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 am

I have had some of these problems. Maybe they have been fixed, I've hardly used iPlayer since the BBC person responsible ducked out.

Firstly, if you are listening BBC, This 'new' iPlayer is far worse than the old one although it may have fixed some problems with Macs and none IE browsers.
The old iPlayer was so bad I gave up and just downloaded the wmv files which play in the Windows Media Player, This was a much faster and reliable download and the play back quality was much better. Sadly this option is no longer avaialble

Re download errors. You do not know if the download worked until you play it, if that is after the 7 days then you can't try a new download. After much frought times I found that the downloader seems to be unable to cope with multiple downloads or breaks in connection. I now only download one program at a time and do not turn off iPlayer or the computer until complete, note to turn off iPlayer fully you have to exit via the icon in the system tray. It would be much better if the download displayed the time to finish download rather than the amount downloaded. Windows downloader did this !!

Re order of programs in list. I now run a notepad file with a list IN ORDER OF REVERSE DOWNLOAD (oldest first) of the programs downloaded so I can see what is about to expire. This fault has been complained about since the new iPlayer was launched. The old one got this right.

Re quality. There is another way to view programs. I have found that playing the program directly (streaming) is much better quality. This only works within the 7 days though and needs broadband. Although I have successfully watched programs in pubs on the wifi when I have been away (on my notebook). Only works in UK.

Some programs are available after 7 days, some even unlimited. BUT they do not appear in a search. I now, if I find such a program add it to my favorites, because it is still there on the iPlayer website, you just can't find it. For instance at the end of March I saved to favorites an Horizon program on Placebo. I noticed that it was available until tomorrow 24th Apr and I was away for a few weeks. Luckily I saved it to favorites, because it does not appear in search and you can't get at the original date it was broadcast (the only date I know). Actually there is a fault with it as it wont stream so I have been forced to download it. I await the bad quality viewing.
CliffordM

Return to On a Computer